Dorn Spinal Therapy is a gentle, effective and safe vertebrae and joint treatment to correct misalignments of the spinal column and other joints.
The method is based on the natural laws of physics and anatomy and combines traditional Chinese medicine principles with Western medicine techniques and principles.
Dorn Spinal Therapy was developed by Dieter Dorn in Germany during the 1970s for relief of back pain, and has become an increasingly popular procedure as more and more patients find relief. With a history of over 30 years, no harm has been reported as a consequence of Dorn treatment.
- It is the leading back pain treatment in Europe used by doctors, naturopaths and physiotherapists. It is now available in Australia to help those suffering from back pain and other spine-related pain.
- It is a gentle spinal and joint treatment used to work on back problems, joint problems, and organ problems and headaches caused by a wrongly placed vertebra or hip/apparent leg length imbalances.
- Treatment is non-manipulative and joints and vertebrae slip back into their correct natural position through self-determined movements of the patient.
- It is a low repetition therapy. Often with the alignment of just a single vertebra and the balancing of the hip/leg length, the patient will gain relief from back and neck pain or headaches and related discomforts.
- It is a holistic concept. Pain in areas other than in the one being treated can often also get relief through the stimulus of the meridian and nerve systems of the body.
- It offers a new treatment option for many cases of so far unsuccessfully treated back and neck problems.
- It is a treatment you should consider before opting for disc surgery, spinal fusion surgery or any other spinal surgery on your back.
How does Dorn Spinal Therapy work?
- No medication is used.
- Body movement is a fundamental element in the treatment. All corrections happen dynamically; the patient swings either a leg, arm or moves the head, depending on the area the therapist is working on. The movement distracts the muscles so they can´t resist the correction. This feature makes the treatment a gentle therapy.
- By aligning the body, skeletal structure muscle tension is released and muscles can move into their correct, relaxed position. In this way, for example, a sore upper or lower trapezius can be relieved by aligning the upper or lower cervical and thoracic spine. Lower back pain or sciatic pain can be relieved by balancing the hips and correcting different apparent leg lengths.
- The treatment kick-starts the body’s own healing process. So it is not about the practitioner fixing the problem; it is about the body starting to work with the new information set through the treatment.
- The therapist will find and work on tender points the patient was unaware of, and this will potentially speed the healing process. This is why so few treatments are usually needed.
How will Dorn Spinal Therapy help you?
- The treatment is immediately effective in many cases. It gives great value for investment, because few treatments can often give long lasting results.
- Even the most serious chronic cases often get fast relief.
- Hardly any pain is produced during the treatment. Since pain threshold is vital information that causes our body to stop movement, we never go beyond it. Some light pain can´t be avoided completely but, as soon as it is too much, the therapist stops working on that particular part. Further work on that pain-inducing area will be resumed later.
- Dorn is ideal for the prevention of back problems in children and young adults.
- Unlike chiropractic adjustments, Dorn Spinal Therapy does not use sudden movements but works with constant movement of the patient. Patients appreciate the gentle Dorn approach. Also because the patient is a vital part of the treatment, the patient feels more responsible for his or her own aftercare, and will usually take any prescribed exercises more seriously. This factor helps to speed up the healing process.
What is Dorn used for?
Dorn Spinal Therapy has most often been used for:
- Back and neck pain
- Sciatica, scoliosis
- Hip, jaw and knee problems
- Pins and needles
Increasingly, Dorn is being used for treating conditions directly or indirectly affected by the spinal column, where vertebrae are misaligned or blocked, eg:
- Tinnitus, vertigo, earache
- Infertility, PMS
- Asthma, visual problems
- Digestive problems