Massage is the application (usually by hand) of systematic stroking or manipulation of the muscles and other soft tissues of the body for therapeutic purposes.
Remedial Massage is a holistic treatment that uses a wide range of specialized massage and diagnostic techniques to treat specific health issues. These issues include chronic and acute pain, dysfunction caused by musculoskeletal problems and injuries, rehabilitation after injuries, sporting and occupational injuries, RSI, and physical and mental fatigue.
The therapist seeks to identify the original biomechanical dysfunction causing the disorder, and then treat both the cause and the symptoms.
Massage is known to promote health and well-being and is probably the oldest healing discipline known to man.
Key Benefits of Remedial Massage include:
- Pain relief
- Supports and speeds-up the body’s own repair mechanisms
- Stimulates the blood supply, allowing toxins in the muscles to be removed
- Promotes lymph flow, which hastens the elimination of cellular wastes
- Helps to clear the muscles of lactic and uric acid build-up during exercise
- Calms the peripheral nervous system to ease pain and discomfort
- Delays muscle atrophy resulting for inactivity
- Tones and relaxes muscles to improve joint mobility
- Helps to reduce inflammation and oedema in joints and soft tissue
- Improves the health of the cells, and the repairing of tissues
- Eases muscular stiffness and tension
- Relieves tension headaches
- Reduces fibrosis and scar tissue build-up
- Helps to improve symptoms, disease progression, and quality of life in HIV and terminal cancer patients
- Stimulates the immune system by increasing blood flow and lymph drainage
- Improves sleep
- Reduces anxiety and depression
Muscular and skeletal dysfunctions often addressed with remedial massage include muscle tightness and pain, arthritis, frozen shoulder, tennis elbow, whiplash, neck and back pain, scoliosis, headaches and sports injuries.
In summary, remedial massage assists the body’s natural ability to heal itself. It relaxes and tones the muscles preventing injuries, increases circulation and therefore improves the delivery of oxygen and nutrients to all body cells. And above all, it makes you feels great!!!